Popular Posts


Why I'm "Here"

I did not choose to be on this Lung Cancer Patient/Advocacy Road; it chose me. Had my late mother not been diagnosed with late stage inoperable lung cancer, I can say with a fair amount of certainty, I would not be on this road. We never considered the possibility of lung cancer because we did not know the facts. Lung Cancer is Not Just for Smokers.
I became an advocate because I did not want one other family to face the shock that our family did. NO ONE IS IMMUNE from a lung cancer diagnosis. My goal is to empower people with information in order to give them a fighting chance. My goal is to reframe the issue of lung cancer in order to address the social stigma currently associated with the disease. My goal is to support increased lung cancer research to find the cure.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

International meeting

I woke up this morning and could not ignore the fact that I'm on this road trip and haven't checked in. Truth is that I was extremely busy getting to see Merel Streep in Julie and Julia as well as Pilobulous Dance group. I recommend both - the film in a theater near you; not sure about the next scheduled dance performance.
I need to say more about San Francisco and the meeting. While it was an incredible learning experience my major disappointment had to do with the fact that in terms of risk factors other than smoking, nothing was highlighted. There was a session on women and lung cancer - how it can be a different disease but that required a special ticket. I do know that the research is focusing on estrogen levels as a risk factor but I have nothing more to offer at this point. Like others, I'll just have to check on line and in various periodicals for updates. I'm also going to register for some of the continuing ed sessions that are out there. Two coming up in September and November in NY and Philadelphia. I'll become a groupie following the usual suspects -- you see I took a look at the faculty for both sessions and am acquainted with every "Professor". Maybe I should begin grading them????
We need to talk about radon. Yes, it's been identified as the cause of ONLY 21-25,000 lung cancer deaths but, for most of us every life has a meaning - it's not just a statistic and if we can potentially save that many lives, I simply don't understand it. This is not about "more bang for the buck" - what a horrible statement when it comes to discussing human lives.
Got to go. I am the facilitator for a community forum later today and need to prepare - we are organizing our condo community. I should know better after my tenure as an officer of my coop board. In my defense I can only say there is a method to my madness which may become apparent with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment