Popular Posts


Why I'm "Here"

I did not choose to be on this Lung Cancer Patient/Advocacy Road; it chose me. Had my late mother not been diagnosed with late stage inoperable lung cancer, I can say with a fair amount of certainty, I would not be on this road. We never considered the possibility of lung cancer because we did not know the facts. Lung Cancer is Not Just for Smokers.
I became an advocate because I did not want one other family to face the shock that our family did. NO ONE IS IMMUNE from a lung cancer diagnosis. My goal is to empower people with information in order to give them a fighting chance. My goal is to reframe the issue of lung cancer in order to address the social stigma currently associated with the disease. My goal is to support increased lung cancer research to find the cure.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

2010 Summary

What a year it has been. Most recently we finally were able to learn that the "definitive Study" on early detection of lung cancer has published the results of this landmark trial. Early detection of lung cancer saves lives and Spiral CT screening was found to be more effective than Xrays in detecting early stage lung cancer; the question becomes what will now been done with this information.
Additionally, this year has proven to be filled with advances in treating lung cancer; personalized medicine - the individualization of treatment is becoming the norm. Genetic testing of tumors is becoming increasingly more important in determining treament.
The above just a few of the strides that have been made. Our fervent hope is that the pace is accelerated in the year ahead

No comments:

Post a Comment