Popular Posts


Why I'm "Here"

I did not choose to be on this Lung Cancer Patient/Advocacy Road; it chose me. Had my late mother not been diagnosed with late stage inoperable lung cancer, I can say with a fair amount of certainty, I would not be on this road. We never considered the possibility of lung cancer because we did not know the facts. Lung Cancer is Not Just for Smokers.
I became an advocate because I did not want one other family to face the shock that our family did. NO ONE IS IMMUNE from a lung cancer diagnosis. My goal is to empower people with information in order to give them a fighting chance. My goal is to reframe the issue of lung cancer in order to address the social stigma currently associated with the disease. My goal is to support increased lung cancer research to find the cure.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

It's Thursday and I'm not in Manhattan

I was on my way to Manhattan and a UN rally and got sidetracked. I guess they will manage at the UN without me. The rally is about the genocide in Darfur - my connection is that as a child of Holocaust survivors I feel strongly that I must lend my support to the international efforts to stop the killing. On more than one ocassion I've stated that my late mother survivored the horrors of Nazi Germany to succumb to the ravages of lung cancer. That's the connection. As I get older (I have a birthday coming up on August 28th), I become more cognizant of the thread that has remained one of the few constants in my life - growing up a "2G" and being an immigrant.
What kept me here? A meeting this evening of our condo association - there are impediments to selling the house I live in; situations that I can no longer ignore. So this afternoon is being devoted to the "joys" of condo living. I say Never Again - which is a term often used by survivors.
As for the business of this morning. Our website redo is coming along beautifully; I really am counting the days until it is uploaded; exciting innovations which I believe will ultimately impact lung cancer statistics - this is not hyperbole - this will really happen. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment